Quote of the Moment

They’ve done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. — Anchorman

Friday 15 April 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: Scream 4 (and my rants..positive and negative)

SCREAM 4

Director: Wes Craven
Starring: Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, David Arquette, Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere, Rory Culken, Adam Brody.
Screenwriter: Kevin Williamson
Plot: Woodsboro murders survivor Sidney Prescott (Campbell) returns to her home town while on a book tour.  When she returns 15 years after the events that changed her life killings have started up again.

I have been waiting for this day for oh so long and it finally came. I got to see Scream 4 tonight.  It was not everything I had expected, it sure was something different, but it was a good different. 
Scream 4 had a different feel to it compared to the other 3 Scream movies, but I found its new style was great.
A lot more wit and brutality is in this film compared to the rest with  Ghostface being way more evil then usual. The end was really great, very exciting, fast paced and there were surprises left right and centre.
The beginning very witty but maybe to whitty for a Scream film.
Loved Adam Brody and Anthony Anderson, great cops, very witty, great scenes.
Some death scenes were awesome, and some were good. None were weak.
The character of Kirby (Hayden Panettiere) was awesome. Defiantly a fan favourite.  Robbie was also very likable.
I was happy with the killer or killers and the overall motive.  It was creative but I felt like something similar was done before.
I wasn't expecting Gale and Dewy to be in it very much, but they were in it just as much as everyone else (to me anyways).  Sidney's role in this film was great I think Kevin hit the nail perfectly with how the trio behave and act in this film, it all seems quite realistic that they would all be in those situations now 11 years after the Scream 3 events.
SPOILERS FROM NOW ONWARDS
YOU WERE WARNED!!
I surely learnt my lesson.  Now everyone, I know its hard when you are crazy about a film or franchise not to read things on the internet about it since you want to know everything you can about the film before it comes out.  These Scream films are not the sort of films you want to do that with. I watched for stuff on this film on the internet like a hawk and I wish to god I didn't.  Eventually this habit got me into trouble because about 6 months ago I read about a rumor that was going around about who the killers were, now many of the rumors around this time were just theories and such but this one "rumor" was not a rumor and actually real (as so I found out when I watched it).  This theory was none other then the one about Charlie and Jill being the killers.    The whole time while I was watching the film I just had this thing in my head the about these two, it didn't ruin the film for me but it sure did make the film less surprising and exciting. I am never doing that again.  When Scream 5 is in development (and yes, I did say when because I am that confident that Scream 5 will come out) after casting has been announced and confirmed I am not going to watch the project like a hawk!!! I learnt my lesson this time!
I loved Mrs Roberts death through the letter hole in the door. I think it was a clever thing to do since many deaths that have been through doors/walls such as in Scream 2 everyone always goes "as if" but in this one, yeah, the audience still goes "as if" but then it is reveled that she was stabbed though the letter hole. LOVE IT!
Oliva's death was very brutal she got it the worst in my opinion. Blood everywhere!
Trevor's was just as bad, getting shot in the dick would have sucked! I was surprised that happened in the film nobody was expecting it.
Jill was a great killer, I loved how the audience got to see how she hurt herself and all before the police arrived.   The ending in the hospital was amazing as well.
There were a few things I could pick on in the film.
1. Usually the people who die in the start of the film are connected to the reason why the killers are on a killing spree or retrospectively directly linked to the killers.  I felt that these girls died in the start and that it was ever explained why.  I feel like I know what they should of done to connect this all up.  Jill keeps talking about how Trevor "cheated" on her or something, I was thinking that maybe one of the girls in the beginning was the girl he "cheated" on her with.  Only explanation I have came up with so far.
2. I HATED and I mean HATED how they cut soooo much out.  The story needed more character development and I felt that some of the scenes cut out may have added to this development.
3. I had a problem with the opening sequence. A reason that I didn't like the start that much was because you could tell a lot was cut out and I felt it was too short, I didn't find it memorable (besides the wit ofcorse with the Stab 6 and 7 openings haha).
4. Also for some reason, I had a problem with Charlie as a killer.  He wasn't insane or sinister like Jill but more dazed and dopey, but I guess that's what he needed to be like since he was following Jill's plan. But still I wasn't feeling him (love Rory but Charlie as a character, nahhhh).
5. I didn't like how any of the new cast survived but Judy Hicks (who was like my least favourite and likable character). POOOO


SPOILERS END
Overall, maybe to answer some of my questions and thoughts I may need to watch the film again.  Other then that it was great!
Best Part: The end, the revelation at the end was great
Worst Part:  Sorry guys for me it was Brittney and Amiee's scene at the start..
Memorable quote: "Fuck you Bruce Willis" - Anthony Anderson, this is going to be a classic!
8/10
I can't wait for the DVD it better have a directors cut and or deleted scenes or alternative scenes because I would looove to see them!

No comments: